Thursday, July 24, 2008

Sleeping Habits

A few weeks before we came to China we shipped a little care package to Joshua. It contained a photo album so that he could see pictures of the aliens who were coming to get him. I also included a disposable camera and asked that the nannies would take pictures for us of him and his life in the orphanage. I was most excited to send a soft little musical bear and a blankie. Now this is no ordinary blankie... it's the softest one I've ever touched.

Through a volunteer at his orphanage I learned that the nannies had placed our album in the window behind his crib and they changed the picture every day. This thrilled us of course! We also learned that it appeared he hadn't been given the bear or blankie. I was a little disappointed, but mostly grateful that he was getting to see the pictures. I reasoned that maybe it wouldn't be fair for him to have a soft blankie when the others didn't have one. Now I'm thinking he just didn't like it.

We received the bear, blankie and camera when we got him, and he doesn't seem to like the feel of the soft stuff at all. In fact, he has the most unusual "blankies." As long as he's got something in his hand, he's great. On Gotcha day he was fisting a piece of candy in each hand. Later he carried the wrap around $1,000 worth of Ben Franklins (we had already shelled over the cash). Another day it was the empty wrapper to his fruit snacks. Tonight it is the hotel business card. This kid will hold on to his treasure for hours! It even interferes with his ball handling skills at times! Here's a pic of his "blankie" tonight when he went to sleep.


As for sleeping, he's a champ! He's slept through the night since we got him, and takes great naps. We love it when he cat naps on us! He's the most snuggly little dude. It's absolutely heavenly!!


19 comments:

Brian and Autumn said...

Hands down you are the best in-country blogger :) It is so fun to see your updates and see how well things are going for you guys. Praise God for his perfect plan being fulfilled.
Autumn Gossett

Meli n Pat said...

My obligatory "WOW!" Those blessings keep coming! We've been praying for the passport and God delivers! Of course! It looks like you guys are having some very sweet bonding time. So special! Still can't wait til you bring him all the way home! Pat's excited to meet him! We'll have to start planning our next trip down!
LOVE YOU!

Unknown said...

I second that WOW and am just glued to your blog. What a sweet little guy! His life is changing by the second and he is taking it all in stride! Not only is he getting exclusive attention from Mommy and Daddy that he has never had before, he's getting fed emotionally as well as physically, and he's going to meet his brother and sister that are all his.

We too sent a care package to Caroline's orphanage with soft blankie that I had her Chinese and American name embroidered on, as well as a camera and some pictures. Unfortunately, it did not make it there in time and she never saw them. :(

Congratulations and enjoy Guangzhou! Get more squeaky shoes, they're cheap there. Danny's Bagels has good pizza too (and when I called, they answered in English and sounded like I could have reached Malibu their English was so devoid of an accent)

Congratulations on enjoying this precious time in China with your new son.

Teresa Horvet

jolyn said...

As far as business cards go, that one looks pretty snuggly to me! I love that Joshua is such a cuddler and what a gift indeed that he is so content to cuddle and sleep on you guys! Seems more and more that the Lord made him ready and waiting for his "Mama" and Daddy. I, for one, can't get enough of the pictures of him snoozing away... what an angel!

Anonymous said...

He's gonna be a good one! I'm gonna love the hide right off him that boy!

TheHappyNeills said...

oh how i wish any of my kids would fall asleep on me! that's the best thing ever! love his "blankies"! :) what a fun little guy.

TheHappyNeills said...

btw, we had squeaky shoes for calvin just for fun and recently fallyn got a pair (ebay of course!). hopefully it will make her more excited about taking steps.

we heart squeaky shoes!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Linda said...

When it's all over, we Starfish blog junkies are going to go through withdrawl! What will we do with ourselves?

Anonymous said...

Your updates are incredible. It's become a family event to follow along on your journey. All I have to do is announce that there are new "Joshua pictures," and there's a mad rush to the computer. We can't get enough of him...of all of you together. Chad already hopes we get called to sub in the creeper B room soon. :)

I've found that it's nearly impossible to read without shedding a few tears (or many). What will I do when I see you all in person? :) This story is so beautiful and amazing. Look at what God has done! It's exciting to think of what He has in store for the future.

Katie (for the Eck family)

Anonymous said...

I couldn't wait to get home from VBS and check on you guys. He is such a love. I've fallen in love with him from across the miles and I hope to see him soon. My heart broke when I read about mealtime at the orphanage (and to think that was a "good" orphanage) Joshua got the best parents and you got a great blessing. WOW!
Brienna

Anonymous said...

We are hanging on your every word and praising Jesus for this gift! We can't wait to meet him (along with everyone else!) Aiden & AnnieBeth say Hi and they are ready to have you all come play!

We love him already!
candace for the Allenbach Crew

Anonymous said...

I can't express to you the emotion and memory that your story takes me to. Reading all of the in and outs of bringing Joshua into your lives is almost like re-living getting our Esther. I've even been dreaming about it at night! I can't believe it has been ten years already! Feels like just yesterday...

Thanks so much for sharing your hearts with all of us. Thanks for being an advocate for the orphans of the world!! Thanks for helping me remember different things we went through to get Esther.

I love you guys and I'm so happy for you!! I also know that DNA is over-rated!!! :)

Sra. Wilson said...

Eric and I have been following along and are so excited for all of you. I can't wait until the picture at the top of your blog is of all 5 of you! May the blessing continue to be poured out on your trip and the many years to come. It sounds as if this adventure to bring your son home is going even better than imagined! I can't wait to meet him!
Courtney Wilson

Anonymous said...

WOW! God's goodness overflows. Our family and anyone who will listen to me is hearing your incredible story. Laci is loving seeing "Hutchison"( we keep practicing his name) and Hannah's new baby brother. This morning she said she thought they would like to meet hers sometime. Keep us updated. He looks adorable. What a blessed family on both sides. We pray for a safe return to the States.
Ronda

Anonymous said...

Okay Lesli. Confession time. I am addicted!!! Several times a day, maybe once every 60 seconds, I'm back on my computer checking for updates. I saw your mom at Java Loft this morning. Huddled together at a table we were reading and rereading what you'd already written and I had already read a few short hours before. Twice, as the laptop was turned from side to side, updates popped up! The first time I told Linda, "I get to read it first - it's my computer!" Nothing childlike about me... The second time your mom already had the computer in front of her so I was a little more generous.
Praying for you and your family. God is soo good!

Anonymous said...

You guys have managed to put more lumps in my throat in one week than I've had in a long time. I, too, have been checking the blog several times a day, hoping there would be something new. It's been so nice getting to know my great- (or is it grand-? -- either one is true) nephew long before I'll ever get to meet him.

I was especially blessed by Rusty's musings in Immeasurably More than we Can Ask or Imagine and to realize that God had been smoothing the way long before you got there.

Garnett

Unknown said...

When you get back to the states and decide you didn't buy enough squeaky shoes, there is a website called pipsqueakers.com and they have them, not as inexpensive, but still fun.

Oh, and you can remove the squeakers when they get too annoying. :)

Teresa

Anonymous said...

Rusty and Lesli,

I am so happy for you guys and I know that you are going to be such great parents to Joshua! I can't wait to meet him!! I love ready this story and I am sitting here balling my cotton pickin eyes out GOD RESCUES!!

Love you

Heather