Monday, July 28, 2008

Finally, Uigher Food!!!

For those of you who know us, you might remember that we have an affinity for Uighers and their food. Uighers are located in the western part of China, and are actually Muslim so their food tastes different than Chinese. Rusty say's that the only international dish he craves is Uigher lagman. We had been told that there were some Uigher restaurants up in Shenyang, and we planned to eat a lot of lagman, but we didn't find any.

Last night we went on a bit of a wild goose chase with another family in our travel group. (I don't know if I mentioned this before, but Rusty went to junior high with the wife!!) Anyway, we had gotten directions for a fast food Chinese place that some of the other families had liked. Probably an hour later, we decided that we weren't going to find the place. As we were walking back to our hotel, I looked up and saw the word "Uigher" in a restaurant sign. Rusty perked up, ran in, and started speaking to them in Kazakh. He got even more excited to discover that they were truly Uigher, and had lagman!!! So Rusty became our hero.... speaking in some language none of us understood and ordering some amazing dishes!!! Believe me, they taste so much better than the pictures!! Those of you who have had lagman in the past.... remember the tenth commandment!!!!




8 comments:

kyle and carly said...

Sounds like a divine appointment to me! I'm already asking for forgiveness for violating the 10th commandment, and may need to do so again later today, and probably this evening as well.

jolyn said...

How fun! And what a small world.

Rachel said...

Looks yummy to me!

Brett, Julz, and Emma said...

oh man...what I would do for a plate of lagman!!!! YUMMY!!

Meli n Pat said...

For those of us with no overseas experience and no Chinese language skills, how do you pronounce those things?! Glad you are enjoying the experience!

Anonymous said...

yum...lagman...

Anonymous said...

WOWZERS I wish I were there eating with you!!! I bet that was a great treat!! Yum Yum!!

Can't wait to see you guys!

Heather

Unknown said...

That food looks amazing! Way to go on remembering your language lessons Rusty!