Today was the day Joshua officially became ours. We started the proceedings back at the Civil Affairs office in the same room that we received him yesterday. The orphanage director was there, along with a notary who is more like a judge, a few other civil affairs staff members, and our amazing guide, Summer. It included a lot of paperwork. We had to guarantee that we would never abandon Joshua again, never abuse him or mistreat him and make sure he gets a good education. No problem! Then came the money hand over. The US dollar is so weak right now that they wanted most of it in their yuan (Chinese money).
Mr. Notary
The orphanage gave us a gift of engraved glass with info about Joshua's adoption from Shenyang on it. They also gave us a little baggie of dirt from his orphanage, as one's roots are very important to the Chinese people. It was such a nice gesture! We gave cookies (oh, and then we shelled out quite a few Ben Franklin's as a required orphanage donation).
with orphanage director
Then we had a mad dash across town to begin his passport proceedings. We got his passport photo first, then met with the official. According to Summer, he was not very friendly or helpful, nor was he interested in the extra work it would require to expedite Joshua's passport in 2 days. (It usually takes 2 weeks to get a passport.) He refused us, but Summer, as I said is amazing, and she's already been there again to put some heat on him. She'll call the officials in Beijing if necessary.
After we finished everything, we had Hot Pot for lunch, then went back to the hotel for a much needed nap for all three of us! Rusty gave Joshua his first bath.




We went to a local "hole in the wall" restaurant for dumplings, which were delicious! China has a new policy that all the dishes and silverware from hole in the wall places must be sent off to be cleaned. They are returned shrink wrapped. It was quite comforting until I saw the owner's little boy running around chasing the cat, then playing outside with the little rolling pin that the ladies I was watching had just used to roll out my dumpling dough. Apparently it's his toy stick until they need it!! Oh well, mine were fried, so lets hope everything got killed!!
We feel quite amazed, blessed and in love with our third child!!! DNA is soooooo overrated!
8 comments:
Through Linda and your web-site I have watched your story unfold for over a year. I cried and have celebrated for you and with you. You have been blessed, pressed down shaken together and truly running out all over. Having met Miss Hannah, I feel confident she can hold her own against 2 brothers. Hudson will love having another man in the house. My prayers will continue to be with you.
Patricia, a friend of Lesli's mom from Clovis Naz
So I'm guessin' he liked the bath! How was he bathed at the orphanage if that was his first bath?
......is "xie, xie" a Chinese word? :)
Mom
Can you tell we're a little obsessed with your blog around here? LOVE the sweet little sleeping and "toesies" (as Holly called them) pictures. Especially lovin the bath picture... Two days with his mommy and daddy and he looks like the happiest baby on the block! Just wait until he meets his brother and sister... if that smile can get any bigger, it will!
Wow! That sounds like an incredibly busy day! Hopefully Summer can work some magic...along with the Holy Spirit and get the passport guy to push Joshua's passport through.
My heart is so full as I read your blog. Joshua is amazing! I can't wait to get to love on him too!! I'm pretty confident that this sweet little boy will never have a shortage of cuddly hugs and kisses ever again!! We're praying for y'all as you return to the orphanage. Love you lots!!
I need to be more careful when I check your blog. I can't seem to stop by without crying. : ) I'm so happy for you and your sweet Joshua. Can't believe the orphanage!!! Talk about dressed up! Wow. So thankful he did well there.
Just wanted you to know we were thinking about you.
T
Cassandra and I are staying with grandma to teach bible school this week. She showed us your blog and we absolutely LOVED it! Grandma is soooo proud of you and just beams with excitment whenever she talks about you guys. Joshua is the same age as my son Avery which is grandmas great-grandson. It would be fun if we could get them together sometime in the future!
Congrats and good luck with everything, Nicole Blakeley
It won't be long before you won't have to jump through hoops! All that jumping makes the rest of us as tired as you. Sure have enjoyed your blog, and I look forward every little bit and piece!
Love ya,
Aunt Dee Dee
Post a Comment